Sunday, February 07, 2010

Pro Bowl Experience Day One


Through the Jaguars, my dad and I were fortunate enough to win a contest where we got to attend the Pro Bowl after explaining in 100 words why we deserved to attend. The trip included hotel accommodations, tickets to the game and a meet and greet with Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew who was there for his first ever Pro Bowl selection. This along with a part two that will be posted originally appeared on Jaguars.com.


My dad and I have now finished Day 1 of our Pro Bowl experience and it was a day that we will never forget.

Around 11:00 AM we arrived at the players’ hotel. The AFC team was about to return from practice and the lobby was packed with sports writers. While waiting I had a chance to talk about the upcoming draft with Pete Prisco who covered the Jaguars for years but now writes for CBS Sports.

When the players stepped off the bus they were still in their red and white practice jerseys. Bengal receiver Chad Ochocinco accessorized his uniform with a stylish sombrero. Jaguar QB David Garrard was accompanied by his son. After spending time with the media they all went up to their rooms to relax and clean up.

A short while later the lobby began to look like a real life fantasy football team. To the left was Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams talking to fans. At my right were Titans running back Chris Johnson and Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall talking to their peers. At this time I managed to get an autograph from Ochocinco and also took a picture with Chargers tight end Antonio Gates. The hotel however was trying to limit autograph and photos so we decided to head out to lunch until we got to meet Maurice Jones-Drew later in the day.

After a traditional lunch of Buffalo wings with a side of college basketball we headed back to the hotel to meet Maurice. We were met by Renzo from the Jaguars staff who walked us to the beach where Maurice was relaxing with his family. Maurice then greeted us and took pictures with everyone. We talked about football and I asked about his end zone celebration plans (still a secret) and if he will be on the cover of next year’s Madden. He asked me about my school plans for next year. He signed autographs for us including the Pro Bowl shirt with his name on the back that I will be wearing to the game.


When our visit ended, I tried to meet some more players. I managed to obtain autographs from Texans quarterback Matt Schaub, Patriots safety Brandon Meriwether, Giants receiver Steve Smith, Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady and 49ers running back Frank Gore. We knew it was time close-up shop when my dad knew all the security guards by name. My “walk-off shot” was Bronco cornerback Champ Bailey who signed by the elevator as we left the hotel.

We chilled out at our hotel and watched the end of the Senior Bowl. Some of my favorite prospects in the game include Marty Gilyard, Kyle Wilson, Brandon Graham and Sean Witherspoon. These guys would look very good in teal.

Overall it was a very exciting day for me and the city is in full swing. The game is tomorrow night so we have some things planned for the day. I’ll let you know what we end up doing and look forward to sharing some observations from the game.

No comments: